Monday, August 31, 2009

First Book Club Mtg!

So L and I went to our first book club meeting, and I loved it! We were discussing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which takes place on an island in the English Channel just after WWII.
At that time, the islanders had little access to flour and such (they took longer to bounce back from the wartime poverty than the mainland) so one of the characters came up with a recipe for "potato peel pie." Our book club organizer arranged to have the chef at the restaurant prepare a potato peel pie for our group... how cool!! It was basically like mashed potatoes with some potato peels criss-crossed on top (in terms of flavor, think potato skins). It tasted fine to me, though I'm not sure I would break it out for Thanksgiving dinner or anything. I'm already looking forward to our next book club.

1 comment:

  1. Book club? How fun! I am glad that you are finding some fun moments during this hectic time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...