Today Cobble and I visited our favorite quilt shop, and I was able to piece together the makings of a beautiful new quilt. Thank goodness for Cobble's helpful suggestions (and the friendliness of the women in the shop -- a pleasant surprise!)
In order to figure out which fabrics I wanted to use, I started with a striking "starter" print to which I matched all the others. You can see my starter fabric in the center of the picture below.
I tried to get a good balance of colors: green, brown, and blue. As I walked around the shop selecting prints, I set them on a counter in order to see them side-by-side. Initially, I had chosen too many yellowy fabrics, and I was disappointed with their overall effect. That's when Cobble came to my rescue! She found the green cat-print and the blue circles (in the upper right-hand corner). They were the perfect replacements! I'm really happy with the results and can't wait to get started.