Saturday, May 14, 2011

Putting the Pieces Together (Post #4)

I thought I'd update everyone on the progress I'm making with my Skipping Stones Quilt. Although I'm making relatively good time, the pieces would be going together even faster if it weren't for my perfectionist streak. With each piece I'm thinking ahead to how the finished block will look, taking into account its orientation, and making careful choices about which pieces I sew together. To give you some examples...

In this block, I decided that I wanted the one, "whole" cat to be upright. That meant that I had to pay attention in order to sew the shorter side pieces on what would eventually become the side of the block. Had I not been thinking about this, the kitty might have ended up side-ways.


Here, I decided it looked best if the bright yellow color was evenly distributed throughout the block, so I turned the blue strips to make three concentrated areas of bright yellow.


Finally, in this one, I spent some time considering how to assemble the three pieces. I finally decided on the combination you see below, because I thought it looked nice with the light blue shapes "flowing" in a curve from left to right. It's very Feng Shui, don't you think?


So there you have it! A little insight into my quilting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...